To ensure all pages of the application load correctly, please use Chrome as your browser.
Senior II Software Engineer
- Feb 15, 2017 Post Date
- 007567 Requisition #
About the Job
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will be responsible for designing live streaming features. The candidate should be able to demonstrate strong problem solving capabilities, be a great team player and exhibit excellent communication skills. The candidate must be a first rate C/ C++ programmer with experience of Distributed systems, TCP/IP networking, Multithreading and System Software development. Knowledge of one or more of Apple HTTP Live Streaming and Adobe HTTP Dynamic Streaming is preferred. The candidate needs to be goal-oriented, have the ability to handle interruptions while fluidly switching between several projects and deal with issues that arise when running a highly available service.
* Design, and implement new Live Streaming features either individually or working with a team of other developers using C/C++,
* Write Automation using Python scripts
* Enhances existing software by analyzing and identifying areas for optimization or refactoring
* Generates technical documentation as well as unit and functional tests
* Assists with application maintenance by monitoring and correcting software defects
* Investigates new technologies and researches ongoing industry developments
* Provide technical leadership to team in India and mentors junior developers in industry best practices, procedures, and concepts
* Oversee and drive technical scoping and design of projects and manage daily workloads of the team, provide feedback and coaching to individual contributors
* Inspire engineers to work hard, lead by example and keep enthusiasm high in tight-deadline situations.
* Communicate clearly and honestly with stakeholders about progress, roadblocks, and timelines.
* Work closely with the Dev Test team and System QA team, release engineers, Architects and Program Managers for planning, execution and release activities.
Applicants must meet one of the following education and experience requirements:
- 8 years of relevant experience and a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or its equivalent or
- 6 years of relevant experience and a Master’s degree Computer Science} or
- 3 years of relevant experience and a PhD Computer Science
* Minimum 8 years of hands-on experience working in Unix/Linux environment
* Minimum 8 years of proficient programming experience in C/C++
* Minimum 5 years working experience with Internet protocols and standards such as TCP/IP, HTTP/RTSP/RTMP
* Minimum 3 years of experience in Python
* Education: Master's Degree in Computer Science or equivalent preferred.
* Domain knowledge in the area of web server (apache / tomcat) and Streaming Technology.
* Good understanding about Media container formats such as HLS, HDS, PIFF, DASH
* Good understanding of operating system fundamentals.
* Highly responsible, self-disciplined, self-managed, self-motivated, able to work with little or no supervision.
* Passion to understand, learn, and dissect new technologies quickly on your own.
* Extensive experience working on multiple projects at a time in a fast paced, results oriented environment.
* Meticulous attention to detail and excellent debugging / troubleshooting skills.
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
*Is relocation available for this position: No
*Is US Citizenship required: No
*Is a Security Clearance Required: No
If yes, applicants selected will be subject to a government security investigation & must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
About Akamai Technologies
Akamai is the global leader in Content Delivery Network (CDN) services, making the Internet business ready—fast, reliable, and secure—for its customers. The company's advanced web performance, mobile performance, cloud security and media delivery solutions are revolutionizing how businesses optimize consumer, enterprise and entertainment experiences for any device, anywhere. Headquartered in Cambridge, MA, Akamai has offices around the world and operates the most pervasive, highly distributed CDN—with more than 200,000 servers in 110 or more countries—delivering up to 30% of all Web traffic. Learn more at www.akamai.com/careers.
Akamai is a growing, and evolving, company with offices and operations around the world. As such, we strive to foster inclusive and representative workplaces where all employees are wholly welcome, and enabled to share and benefit from each other’s diverse contributions, as one global team. Our commitment to diversity reaches beyond our corporate offices, to our business partners and suppliers who share the same principles, and whose employees we value as integral to the Akamai business family. Learn more at www.akamai.com/diversity.
Akamai Technologies is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer that values the strength that diversity brings to the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of gender, race/ethnicity, protected veteran status, disability, or other protected group status. If you'd like more information about EEO rights under United States law, please click here.