To ensure all pages of the application load correctly, please use Chrome as your browser.
Senior II Software Engineer
- Mar 15, 2017 Post Date
- 007473 Requisition #
Akamai Technologies is looking for a hands on Senior Engineer for its mission critical configuration system
in Media and CDN Engineering team. This configuration system allows each request to its vastly distributed server cloud,
to be uniquely identified, manipulated and served through a XML based language. This system requires 100% availability and
up time during software, storage and schema deployment cycles.
This person would be a thought leader in designing highly modular, high performance, scalable and stable configuration system
while also providing hands on development, maintainance, debugging and support through out software lifecycle.
As a Senior Systems Engineer, you will be responsible for:
- Bringing a deep and broad skill set in HTTP 1.0/1.1 protocol and its nuances in web applications.
- Writing solutions in Akamai's metadata configuration language to solve customers' complex business problems.
- Providing thought leadership in terms of designing, implementing, monitoring and maintaining configuration system.
- Identifying common patterns in configuration metadata, and provide simplified, modular and reusable metadata snippets.
- Defining new projects that improve system performance and stability.
- Working with other architects to understand product and system functionality and requirements.
- Improving testing methods and processes for better stability of configurations and configuration system. Identify potential
risks that exposes customers to vulnerabilities.
- Working with Product Managers, Architects and Support Organization to bring consensus on deployment and risk mitigation plans.
- Bringing understanding of software development life cycle and release management.
About the Team
The candidate will be part of the highly skilled Media and CDN engineering team that's responsible for the software that runs
Akamai's world-wide network, one of the largest distributed systems in the world. Our software is a combination of many different
technologies. It is a web server, a web client, a distributed caching engine, and much more. It provides a scalable, fault tolerant
solution to web sites for handling their traffic, does HTTP HD streaming, determines the fastest route from point A to point B, hops
around bottlenecks on the Internet, provides security, and provides a wide array of reporting abilities for our Network Operations Command Center
and our customers.
By leveraging our global deployment of 200,000+ servers in 1,000+ networks, Akamai can uniquely solve problems and exceed
fundamental limitations of traditional networking.
Applicants must meet one of the following education and experience requirements:
- 10 years of relevant experience and a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or its equivalent or
- 8 years of relevant experience and a Master’s degree Computer Science} or
- 6 years of relevant experience and a PhD Computer Science
- 10+ years of industry experience on Linux or a Unix-based OS
- 10+ years of experience with Internet protocols including TCP/IP and HTTP.
- 8+ years of experience with Python, Perl or bash
- 6+ years of managing a software development team
- 2 years of cloud based storage platforms.
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong organizational and analytical skills
- Demonstrated skills in gathering requirements, organizing resources and assess risks.
- Excellent analytical skills, attention to detail and problem solving / troubleshooting skills
- Highly driven, hands-on, self-motivating, self-learning team player with a great can-do attitude
- Is relocation available for this position: No
- Is US Citizenship required: No
- Is a Security Clearance Required: No
If yes, applicants selected will be subject to a government security investigation & must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
About Akamai Technologies
Akamai is the global leader in Content Delivery Network (CDN) services, making the Internet business ready—fast, reliable, and secure—for its customers. The company's advanced web performance, mobile performance, cloud security and media delivery solutions are revolutionizing how businesses optimize consumer, enterprise and entertainment experiences for any device, anywhere. Headquartered in Cambridge, MA, Akamai has offices around the world and operates the most pervasive, highly distributed CDN—with more than 200,000 servers in 110 or more countries—delivering up to 30% of all Web traffic. Learn more at www.akamai.com/careers.
Akamai is a growing, and evolving, company with offices and operations around the world. As such, we strive to foster inclusive and representative workplaces where all employees are wholly welcome, and enabled to share and benefit from each other’s diverse contributions, as one global team. Our commitment to diversity reaches beyond our corporate offices, to our business partners and suppliers who share the same principles, and whose employees we value as integral to the Akamai business family. Learn more at www.akamai.com/diversity.
Akamai Technologies is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer that values the strength that diversity brings to the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of gender, race/ethnicity, protected veteran status, disability, or other protected group status. If you'd like more information about EEO rights under United States law, please click here.