To ensure all pages of the application load correctly, please use Chrome as your browser.
Senior Software Engineer
- Feb 16, 2017 Post Date
- 005532 Requisition #
About the Job
Big Data: work at the heart of the Internet designing and building the next generation Big Data applications. This position offers the opportunity to work on extremely large scale, distributed, Big Data applications. Be part of the engineering team that’s defining state of the art in Big Data.
The ideal candidate is highly motivated to design and develop innovative solutions using C++, Scala, Java, Python and SQL. This engineer should take pride in writing maintainable, readable automated test code, as well as application code. The candidate should be able to understand and communicate both big picture system designs as well as demonstrate competency in seeing an implementation through to completion. The candidate will work closely with other engineers and should be able to conduct design and code reviews, that will enable grooving his coding skills. A working knowledge of networking, secure computing concepts, and a basic understanding of fundamental cryptography is strongly desired.
If you want to work on technology problems that are interesting and challenging, then this is the role for you.
About the Team
The Distributed Data Engineering team (DDE) owns and operates the Big Data systems that process, aggregate and store every Akamai network transaction for the purposes of analytics, billing, reporting, intelligence, decision support and provisioning. DDE systems currently receive over 7PB/day of data and process over 5 trillion records per day. The data applications group within DDE has responsibility for supporting the customer relationship and owning the design, development and deployment of Big Data applications.
Distributed Data Intelligence team is part The Distributed Data Engineering team (DDE), which is a group engineers who develop distributed systems that support Akamai's global network. In general, these systems operate behind the scenes to provide the fault-tolerant and highly scalable core of Akamai's configuration and health monitoring systems.
* Create new features from scratch, enhance existing features.
* Work in all stages of software engineering, from conception and design through development, testing and deployment.
* Work on projects that make our network more stable, faster, and secure.
* Write automated regression tests that cover new changes to our software.
* Work with our 3rd level engineering support to troubleshoot complex problems our network for our customers.
* Develop skills to become an expert user of internal systems
* Provide support to other engineering groups who use our software
* Education: Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, a related field or equivalent experience.
* 5+ years of experience with C/C++, Java, Scala, Python, Perl on Linux or a Unix based OS.
* 5+ years of experience working with Internet protocols including TCP/IP, HTTP, SSL
* 5+ years of strong expertise with building scalable distributed systems.
* Masters in Computer Science or related field.
* Deep understanding of Linux
* Highly responsible, self-disciplined, self-managed, self-motivated.
* Experience with Kafka, Apache Spark, Zoo Keeper, Cassandra
* Experience with IOT (MQTT)
* Experience with Big Data, Cloud Application Development
* Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
* Experience with operating system internals and distributed systems.
About Akamai Technologies
Akamai is the global leader in Content Delivery Network (CDN) services, making the Internet business ready—fast, reliable, and secure—for its customers. The company's advanced web performance, mobile performance, cloud security and media delivery solutions are revolutionizing how businesses optimize consumer, enterprise and entertainment experiences for any device, anywhere. Headquartered in Cambridge, MA, Akamai has offices around the world and operates the most pervasive, highly distributed CDN—with more than 200,000 servers in 110 or more countries—delivering up to 30% of all Web traffic. Learn more at www.akamai.com/careers.
Akamai is a growing, and evolving, company with offices and operations around the world. As such, we strive to foster inclusive and representative workplaces where all employees are wholly welcome, and enabled to share and benefit from each other’s diverse contributions, as one global team. Our commitment to diversity reaches beyond our corporate offices, to our business partners and suppliers who share the same principles, and whose employees we value as integral to the Akamai business family. Learn more at www.akamai.com/diversity.
Akamai Technologies is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer that values the strength that diversity brings to the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of gender, race/ethnicity, protected veteran status, disability, or other protected group status. If you'd like more information about EEO rights under United States law, please click here.