To ensure all pages of the application load correctly, please use Chrome as your browser.
Site Reliability Engineer
- Apr 19, 2017 Post Date
- 007765 Requisition #
About the Job
This position will offer the opportunity to be part of the highly motivated team that works on software that runs one of the largest distributed systems in the world. You will be an integral part of our aggressive growth strategy for supporting, operationalizing and creating highly innovative solutions for our security products and infrastructure driving unprecedented traffic on the Internet, making it more reliable, secure and faster.
The ideal candidate must be comfortable in working with C / C++ code bases involving 100,000s lines of very complex multi-threaded networking code in a high paced environment. The candidate should be comfortable reading complex code and troubleshooting it and in providing solutions. In addition, this person will be instrumental in maintaining the stability of the network by improving monitoring processes and developing tools for it.
This person will work closely with many other teams inside the company such as the Development, Kernel, Mapping, Performance, Distributed Data Collection, QA, and many other teams.
• Troubleshoot complex production issues in a distributed environment
• Manage deployment of different features
• Work on projects that make our network more stable and faster.
• Work with Dev teams to create more robust solutions
• Closely work with Dev teams on code improvement and stability
• Work with our other L3 engineering support teams to troubleshoot complex problems our network for our customers.
• Work with QA teams for reproduction and setup of complex production issues
• Provide patches as and when needed for issues found in production.
About the Team
Web Security Edge Server team is responsible for design and development of technology that helps customers to protect their web sites and secure the transactions over the web. Our Kona Site Defender product is designed to provide superior cloud computing security, prevent data theft and downtime and mitigate large denial of service attacks. In addition, this group is building unique technology that can secure the cloud and make it a safe place to do millions of transactions. Akamai has built a massive global distributed network that can solve problems at a scale that few others can approach. By leveraging our deployment of servers around the world, we can uniquely solve technology problems with innovative solutions that exceed the fundamental limitations of networking.
Required Education and Experience
Applicants must meet one of the following education and experience requirements:
* 4 years of relevant experience and a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or its equivalent or
* 3 years of relevant experience and a Master’s degree in Computer Science} or its equivalent
* 3+ years industry experience in C or C++ programming.
* 2+ years industry experience with Linux or other Unix-like flavor.
* 1+ years of experience with most of the following: TCP/IP, UDP, DNS, HTTP, HTML, and SSL protocols.
* 1+ years of experience with distributed systems and monitoring; LAMP and NMS (Nagios, MRTG).
* 2+ years of experience with troubleshooting high performance systems
* Ability to write clear documents in English describing network issues and their resolution.
* Experience with and detailed knowledge of the HTTP protocol.
* Experience with Java web applications.
* Exposure to network protocols (TCP/IP, DNS, etc).
* Working knowledge of SQL.
* Ability to handle multiple issues at a time.
* Understanding of common internet principles and protocols and implementation.
* Experience with principles of software development and design, and experience with common programming languages such as SQL, perl, python, C/C#.
* Thorough understanding of distributed systems and/or virtual machine systems
* Experience in networked systems operation and monitoring. Experience in the evaluation and benchmarking of network performance.
* Interest in working in a dynamic and fast paced environment
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Akamai Technologies is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer that values the strength that diversity brings to the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of gender, race/ethnicity, protected veteran status, disability, or other protected group status.
About Akamai Technologies
Akamai is the global leader in Content Delivery Network (CDN) services, making the Internet business ready—fast, reliable, and secure—for its customers. The company's advanced web performance, mobile performance, cloud security and media delivery solutions are revolutionizing how businesses optimize consumer, enterprise and entertainment experiences for any device, anywhere. Headquartered in Cambridge, MA, Akamai has offices around the world and operates the most pervasive, highly distributed CDN—with more than 200,000 servers in 110 or more countries—delivering up to 30% of all Web traffic. Learn more at www.akamai.com/careers.
Akamai is a growing, and evolving, company with offices and operations around the world. As such, we strive to foster inclusive and representative workplaces where all employees are wholly welcome, and enabled to share and benefit from each other’s diverse contributions, as one global team. Our commitment to diversity reaches beyond our corporate offices, to our business partners and suppliers who share the same principles, and whose employees we value as integral to the Akamai business family. Learn more at www.akamai.com/diversity.
Akamai Technologies is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer that values the strength that diversity brings to the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of gender, race/ethnicity, protected veteran status, disability, or other protected group status. If you'd like more information about EEO rights under United States law, please click here.