To ensure all pages of the application load correctly, please use Chrome as your browser.
Sr Technical Program Manager, Engineering Projects
- Apr 20, 2017 Post Date
- 006670 Requisition #
Akamai is seeking a Senior Technical Program Manager for Engineering projects, in Santa Clara, CA. This role will help coordinate a large and growing engineering team, which builds cloud software for the content delivery and media streaming / OTT industry. We need an engaging and detail-oriented individual who is passionate about keeping a large team focused in the right direction to deliver quality products and services.
This new role is a key leader in the Media Delivery Engineering organization, responsible for tactical execution and strategic visibility. You would work closely with Engineering Directors and their teams, as well as cross-functionally, to keep engineering running as a well-oiled machine, helping to identify gaps and issues early and keep senior leadership informed to make timely decisions. This role would also coordinate non-development engineering activities, allowing our engineering directors to devote more focus to the goal of building fantastic software to run the Akamai cloud.
About the Team
Akamai has the most extensive content delivery network (CDN), powering much of the video and audio content you watch online. Our Media Delivery Engineering team is over 130 strong and distributed globally, primarily located in Santa Clara, Boston, Copenhagen, Prague and Bangalore. Our products are used by all 30 of the top media and entertainment companies worldwide.
We provide high-performance media streaming and software download services that enable content providers to reach audiences reliably where they are, to scale as quickly as needed, and to deliver the highest quality possible. Being the leading content delivery network in the world, millions of internet users can rely on Akamai to deliver a fantastic experience.
* Track engineering-internal projects and milestones
* Drive broad engineering programs which span multiple and remote teams
* Promptly communicate opportunities, changes, risks, and modifications to leadership
* Provide leadership for identifying need, establishing, and maintaining engineering processes
* Internal systems usage; Jira, Confluence, P4/Stash, Slack, etc.
* Continuous delivery and integration processes and best practices
* The mapping of engineering cycles against multiple priorities
* Release Scoring; adherence to timeline, scope, and quality
* Sustenance levels for existing products, estimates for future
* Perform Post-Mortem meetings, and identify themes to address
for long- poles/blockers/challenges and other recurring issues
* Assist with planning for engineering training, events, purchasing, and other activities
* Generally keep engineering teams productive, escalating blockers promptly
* Education: BS degree in related field or equivalent experience
* 8+ years experience in Engineering Project / PMP or Program management
* 2+ years supporting teams building software for the web, cloud, or SaaS.
* Strong written and verbal communication and consensus-building skills
* Ability to develop material and present to diverse levels from engineer to executive
* Sense of urgency, flexibility, and creative problem solving
* Ability to form strong relationships across diverse internal functions
* Ability to learn fast and adapt to a changing industry with moving requirements
* Availability for occasional travel to other major engineering offices
* PMP Certification
* Experience in agile and continuous-delivery software models
* Experience with media streaming, content workflow, or web development
* Experience working with large scale distributed software systems (i.e. “the cloud”)
* Is relocation available for this position: No
* Is US Citizenship required: No
* Is a Security Clearance Required: No
If yes, applicants selected will be subject to a government security investigation & must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
About Akamai Technologies
Akamai is the global leader in Content Delivery Network (CDN) services, making the Internet business ready—fast, reliable, and secure—for its customers. The company's advanced web performance, mobile performance, cloud security and media delivery solutions are revolutionizing how businesses optimize consumer, enterprise and entertainment experiences for any device, anywhere. Headquartered in Cambridge, MA, Akamai has offices around the world and operates the most pervasive, highly distributed CDN—with more than 200,000 servers in 110 or more countries—delivering up to 30% of all Web traffic. Learn more at www.akamai.com/careers.
Akamai is a growing, and evolving, company with offices and operations around the world. As such, we strive to foster inclusive and representative workplaces where all employees are wholly welcome, and enabled to share and benefit from each other’s diverse contributions, as one global team. Our commitment to diversity reaches beyond our corporate offices, to our business partners and suppliers who share the same principles, and whose employees we value as integral to the Akamai business family. Learn more at www.akamai.com/diversity.
Akamai Technologies is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer that values the strength that diversity brings to the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of gender, race/ethnicity, protected veteran status, disability, or other protected group status. If you'd like more information about EEO rights under United States law, please click here.